GRANT E. SUMMERS
- Commercial Transactions
- Oil and Gas Exploration, Title and Acquisitions
- Oil and Gas Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Mergers, Stock Purchases and Asset Acquisition
- Business Formation & Organization
- Construction Law
- Bankruptcy Chapter 11 Reorganization
- Estate Planning
- Civil Practice
-U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit (1996)
-U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana (1996)
-U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana (2002)
-Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge (J.D., 1995)
-Member, Louisiana Law Review (1994-1995)
-Louisiana State University, Shreveport (B.S., 1992)
-Member, Omicron Delta Kappa
Professional Associations and Memberships:
-Shreveport, Louisiana State and American Bar Associations (1996 to present)
-Harry V. Booth Inn of Court, Barrister (2001-2007), Associate (1997-1999)
-Supreme Court of the State of Louisiana, Committee on Bar Admissions, Assistant Examiner (2006 - 2014)
Description of Practice:
Grant practices and has extensive experience in the areas of oil and gas law and litigation, business transactions, commercial litigation, business organization, commercial bankruptcy and property law.
Grant's oil and gas practice is presently focused on representation of landowners, small independent oil companies and lenders. His experience includes: negotiating leases and mineral acquisitions; sales and acquisitions of producing mineral lease rights; title due diligence for mineral acquisitions; title opinions for drillsite, division order and acquisition purposes; negotiating terms and preparing collateral documents for loans secured by producing oil and gas assets; handling of successions involving oil and gas working interests and other mineral interests; negotiation of surface agreements for drillsite, pipeline and other purposes; and oil and gas litigation.
Oil and gas litigation practice includes landowner representation on royalty demands, mineral servitude disputes, exploration and development demands, mineral lease cancellation issues, enforcement of agreements to lease, and unleased mineral owner disputes.
In the commercial arena, Grant has handled real estate transactions, timber sales, loan agreements, and collateral documentation for loans and commercial lines of credit. Grant has also assisted clients on business formation and organization issues; mergers, stock acquisitions and asset purchases; and dissolution and winding down of businesses.
In the course of his commercial bankruptcy practice, Grant has served as debtor's counsel on multiple chapter 11 reorganization proceedings and related adversary proceedings. He has also appeared as counsel for creditors, creditor's committees and adversary defendants in chapter 11 cases and chapter 7 business liquidations.
In terms of commercial litigation, Grant has litigated contract disputes, disputes over commercial loan defaults, intra-company shareholder and member disputes, and other matters.
Representative Reported Cases:
- Norwood v. Mobley Valve Service, 144 So. 3d 1143 (La. App. 2nd Cir. 2014).
- Yates v. Marston, 121 So. 3d 673 (La. App. 2nd Cir. 2013).
- HBM Interests, LLC v. Chesapeake La., LP, 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 46078 (W.D. La. Mar. 28, 2013)
- Peironnet v. Matador Resources Corp., 103 So. 3d 445 (La. App. 2nd Cir. 2012), rev'd 144 So. 3d 791 (La. 2013).
- EnCana Oil & Gas (USA) Inc. v. Simpson, 2011 WL 1979671 (W.D. La. May 20, 2011
- Idaho Timber of Carthage, LLC v. Tristate Land and Minerals, LLC, 2010 WL 1489964 (W.D. La. April 13, 2010)
- Fitzgerald v. Exxon Mobil Corp., 2010 WL 604654 (W.D. La. Feb. 18, 2010)
- Iberiabank v. Thornton, 44 So. 3d 720 (La. App. 2nd Cir. 2010).
- Nitro Energy, L.L.C. v. Nelson Energy, Inc., 34 So. 3d 524 (La. App. 2nd Cir. 2010).
- In re Whitaker Construction Co., Inc., 178 Fed. Appx. 412, 2006 WL 1210812 (5th Cir. May 4, 2006).
- In re Whitaker Construction Co., Inc., 411 F. 3d 197 (5th Cir. 2005).
- M and M Gaming, Inc. v. Storey, 788 So. 2d 1230 (La. App. 4th Cir. 2001).
- Nitro Gaming, Inc. v. D.I. Foods, Inc., 779 So. 2d 817 (La. App. 2nd Cir. 2000).
- Caldwell Wholesale Co., Inc. v. Central Oil & Supply Corp., 761 So. 2d 684 (La. App. 2nd Cir. 2000).
Other Representative Matters:Other Representative Matters:
•Pilot Corporation v. River Valley Excavation, Inc., No. 69 110 0025401, American Arbitration Association, Bossier Parish, Louisiana. Successfully defended commercial real estate owner in arbitration proceeding against $1 million change order claim of contractor, handled related subcontractor liens claims' and pursued indemnity for contractor defaults against surety bond in federal court proceeding.
•In re Whitaker Construction Co., Inc., No. 02-12642, United States Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Louisiana. Represented debtor in possession in Chapter 11 case involving construction company with asset value exceeding $18 million, including related claims defense and adjustment, collection matters, administrative matters, and submission of confirmed and consummated liquidating plan of reorganization.
•Allegiance Health Management, Inc. v. Greenwood Specialty Hospital, L.L.C., No. 490,731, First Judicial District Court, Caddo Parish, Louisiana. In 2003-2004, successfully represented owner of healthcare business in ownership dispute with estimated value in excess of $18 million.
•Harrison, et al. v. Advantage Gaming, No. 436,905, First Judicial District Court, Caddo Parish, Louisiana. In 2001, successfully represented group of investors in state-law fraud and securities action involving video poker business.
•In re Kmart Corporation, 02-B-02474, United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District Illinois (pro hac vice). In 2004-2005 successfully represented local shopping center owners in K-Mart Chapter 11 reorganization in connection with rent, tax reimbursement and lease rejection damages claims.
•J. W. Operating Co. v. Lago Leasing et al, Case No. 506479, 1st JDC Caddo Parish, Louisiana. In 2008, successfully represented mineral company in concursus dispute over interpretation of mineral conveyance and ownership of mineral rights.