Grant E. Summers
Grant has extensive experience in the areas of property law, probate and estate planning, oil and gas law, business transactions, commercial lending, business litigation, commercial bankruptcy, and business organization.
Grant’s oil and gas practice is presently focused on representation of landowners, small independent oil companies and lenders. His experience includes: negotiating leases and mineral acquisitions; sales and acquisitions of producing mineral lease rights; title due diligence and curative for mineral acquisitions; title opinions for drill sites, division order and acquisition purposes; negotiating terms and preparing collateral documents for loans secured by producing oil and gas assets; handling of successions involving oil and gas working interests and other mineral interests; negotiation of surface agreements for drill sites, pipeline and other purposes; and oil and gas litigation.
Grant has also worked to draft and negotiate agreements for alternative energy resources, including leases for geothermal, solar and wind energy production.
Oil and gas litigation practice includes landowner representation on royalty demands, mineral servitude disputes, exploration and development demands, mineral lease cancellation issues, enforcement of agreements to lease, and unleased mineral owner disputes.
In the commercial arena, Grant has handled real estate transactions, timber sales, loan agreements, and collateral documentation for loans and commercial lines of credit. Grant has also assisted clients on business formation and organization issues; mergers, stock acquisitions and asset purchases; and dissolution and winding down of businesses.
In the course of his commercial bankruptcy practice, Grant has served as debtor’s counsel on multiple chapter 11 reorganization proceedings and related adversary proceedings. He has also appeared as counsel for creditors, creditor’s committees and adversary defendants in chapter 11 cases and chapter 7 business liquidations.
In terms of commercial litigation, Grant has litigated contract disputes, construction disputes, disputes over commercial loan defaults, intra-company shareholder and member disputes, and other matters.
- Commercial and Lending Transactions
- Oil and Gas Title and Acquisitions
- Estate Planning
- Bankruptcy – Chapter 11 Reorganization
- Oil and Gas Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Mergers, Stock Purchases and Asset Acquisition
- Business Formation & Organization
- Construction Law
- Civil Practice
- Louisiana (1995)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit (1996)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana (1996)
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana (2002)
- Arkansas (2008)
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge (J.D., 1995)
- Member, Louisiana Law Review (1994-1995)
- Louisiana State University, Shreveport (B.S., 1992)
- Member, Omicron Delta Kappa
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Shreveport, Louisiana State and American Bar Associations (1996 to present)
- Harry V. Booth Inn of Court, Barrister (2001-2007), Associate (1997-1999)
- Supreme Court of the State of Louisiana, Committee on Bar Admissions, Assistant Examiner (2006 – 2014)